Monday, September 27, 2010

More Poetry

Here's the next one:

Soldier

I take the darkness as my friend
A gentle comfort from the horrors I've seen.
I welcome the cold numbness spreading through me
A dark hope of something possible.
The sound of endless bullets
The smell of rotting flesh.
These things I no longer witness
Instead I reminisce
Like the slow curdling of milk
In a time and space so far away
Out of thought
Out of touch
Merely a dream
Swirling in front of me
Why did I fight
For something so foolish?
Like children's games with no rules to follow.
And then it becomes clear.
It's humanity
It's you and me
Not stars or the sea
No individuality.
And even if I stop
There will be others
So I might as well have never been born.

© Susan Peevy

So... Like the title says, this is about a soldier. A depressed soldier. Who has had some very hard times. When I read this I tend to think of the soldier as being a man, but whatever floats your boat is cool with me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment