Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Uncontrollable

(Note: To Constance and your mom, sorry I got some of the facts wrong when I was telling you guys about it earlier XD)

The year I was born (1996) my brother was nine years old. A week before his birthday, he began complaining about headaches and body cramps. He didn't feel well. Since my brother, at that age, was constantly coming up with fake "illnesses" to get out of school, my mom barely gave it a second thought. She sent him to school. When he went to the nurses office, they didn't believe him either and sent him back to class.

Later that week, he couldn't use his leg. It was completely limp, and he dragged it behind him as he walked. Since he'd been complaining about the same symptoms all week, my mom decided to take him to the doctor.

In that week, my brother had had six strokes. Five of them had been minor, and had, all together, only managed to make his leg limp. The last stroke, which happened at the hospital, made it so that he had to stay in his hospital bed for the next week, missing both his birthday (December 22nd) and Christmas. Ever since then the entire right side of his body hasn't worked quite as perfectly as it should. His handwriting is atrocious. He doesn't have peripheral vision on that side. Occasionally, if he's a bit hungry or has been working hard for a long period of time, his hands will begin to twitch or shake.

That's why I'm so sympathetic. Don't get weirded out if I start getting protective. You know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment