Friday, December 3, 2010

Curiouser and curiouser

So, earlier I had my discussion with Aakash and Eric about The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. We had our disagreements, but I think the biggest one was about the attitudes of the people towards Christopher, and his attitude towards them. I think that people treat him too harshly, with too much violence and shouting. I mean, they shouldn't even treat normal teenagers like that. I'm here to prove it.

For example, on page seven the police officer says, "I strongly advise you to get into the back of the police car, because if you try any of that monkey business again, you little shit, I will seriously lose my rag." First of all, calling him a 'little shit' is verbal abuse. Police officers are supposed to keep the peace and be good people, instead of calling people 'little shits' and thinking they're guilty before they've even been proven so.

When I tried to explain this to Aakash, he pointed out things like, "What would you think if you saw someone holding a dead dog?" and "Well, he shouldn't have hit him." Alright, I admit, if I saw someone holding a dead dog, I'd freak out. But it depends on what the person looked like. If they looked sad, were rocking back and forth, were crying, or doing something else that showed they were in distress, I wouldn't freak out and think they'd killed it. And about the whole 'hitting' thing. He does not like to be touched, because of how overwhelmed he is at all times, and when someone harshly grabbed him he went berserk. This isn't his fault. He was born that way. You just can't say that he's bad for being completely overwhelmed.

So, anyways, I just completely disagree with Aakash. It's as simple as that. He says that Christopher is wrong and everyone else is right, and I think the complete opposite. It's as though Christopher is the only 'right' person in the entire world. The only human one.

No comments:

Post a Comment