Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I Am

So recently in Writing class we've been making "I Am" poems. I think everyone did really well, although a lot of people showed serious signs of nervousness, including myself. We were focusing on "Golden Lines" (lines of the poem or essay that really struck a chord within you), which I think is a good idea, because it helps people to know where they phrased best, what's the most interesting about themselves, etc. Personally, I think my "Golden Line" was when I managed to pronounce "Ich liebe dich" ('I love you' in German) almost perfectly when I'd been sure I would mess up. Here's the rest:


I am from the old, out of tune piano that sits in my living room, covered in picture frames
and a layer of dust.
I am from “Ich liebe dich,” and “Je t’aime,” and “Vous son mon petit fleur.”
I am from my grandfather’s nature-filled water-color paintings and my mother’s shining thimble
collection, covering the living room walls and lining my memory.
I am from the wide map of Ireland hung on the wall outside my bedroom door that shows the lineage of Ireland and represents the blood of my family.
I am from the worn, rusted wind chimes placed randomly throughout my house.
I am from my mom’s fanciful pincushions and my dad’s vast Star Trek collection.
I am from the towering, wild rose bush out front and the jar of old collars our cats have worn
out over the years.
I am from my mom’s tuna and macaroni ‘n cheese casserole to my sister’s flavorsome salmon and rice dish.
I am from the French couple living across the street that just had a baby to the Japanese restaurant that never fails to make or stomachs grumble with hunger in the evening.
I am from our dark red front door with the finger mark I accidentally formed in the paint
when it had been drying.
I am from the Irish family that always speaks their minds.
I am from the tan and red house that is set back a little behind the others.
I am Susan Peevy.

It's not the best poem I've ever written, that's for sure. I mean, I think I got a little lazy when I was piecing it together because I followed the basic outline of "I am, I am, I am..." that we were told to do. There were a couple people who broke out of that. I am proud and amazed by them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment