Friday, January 14, 2011

Collegiate Crap

    We were reading short debates from seven people on the topic, "Which is better, elite colleges or non-elite colleges?"
    I'd have to say that, personally, I don't know. I read the debates, but none of them seemed to strike me as being "The One Debate to rule them all", y'know? I mean, for a little while there I thought that Martha O'Connell had a pretty good speech. I was even convinced that non-elite colleges were better. Really, I still am. But there are a lot of up-sides to the whole elite thang. There's title and respect and general admiration and fact that you'd be more likely to get hired...
    However (yes, I finally got around to my complaints!), none of their essays were convincing enough. Most of the time they were just opinionated pieces full of possibly made up statistics since they don't actually give sources... It all just seems so unnecessary and... well, just... not very well done. I mean, they're adults, but I could still have done a better job than them, and I'm in the ninth grade!
    Also, I have something to say about the way they were written. If the average person had been reading these, whom had not had them assigned, they wouldn't have lasted long. The average person would have given up at hello. For almost all of the essays I read, I was (sorry, but) bored out of my mind. The average John Doe wouldn't read the entire thing. So what's the point of writing an essay and taking part in a debate where you're trying to get people to join your 'side' when you can't even write something that people will read?
    It just doesn't make sense to me. The whole thing seemed very... well, to me the entire debate seemed sort of immature. The way some of the people phrased things, y'know? And then, because of the fact that it all seems so unnecessary and forced, I just couldn't pick a side. I couldn't find any kind of opinion, except for that I don't think they were well written, structured, or had enough good evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment